Plume Of Feathers
(Go to Interactive Virtual Tour)
Book restaurant seat
This Inn known by the name and sign of the Plume of Feathers was built in the third year of William and Mary in 1691.Though the original structure of the building has undergone alteration down through the years, particularly during the reign of George III, when the present facade was erected.
The house was licensed in its year of foundation and was called then the "Feathers". The house was kept at this date by Jacob Bethell, who is described as the Innkeeper and keeper of the Keen, which meant that he kept some kind of livestock, either cows or sheep. The property then consisted of a main tenement, with stables and outbuildings. Its location was given as the "Feathers" at the Park. Sometime in the early 18th Century it changed to the "Feathers", Park Place.
By 1713, only the widow Bethell is recorded here. She had inherited the had inherited the Inn upon the death of her husband. Among the items listed in his will was a stock-mare, various drinking pots called jugs and wassaills, and several articles of linen and lace. To his daughters Charlotte and Emeline he bequeathed 10 guineas each, to be given on the day they were married. To his son Joseph a mare and a bridle and that he should become vested in the "Feathers" with its land and stables, upon the death of his mother. Naomi Bethell died in 1722, and the house passed to her son Simon. However by 1724, he appears to have incurred numerous debts and in the same year a condition of lunacy was granted against him and he entered an asylum, whereupon Emeline Bethell took over the "Feathers".
In 1728, she married one Jonathan Epps a master mariner of Deptford and together they kept the house until the death of Epps in 1751. She continued to run it until her own death in 1763. Where after her niece Elizabeth Searle became vested in the property and in 1771, she sold it to the Beehive Brewery of Church Street, Greenwich. They leased the "Feathers" in that year to Joshua Garrett, tavern keeper and fishmonger of Deptford, who, for many years had kept an Inn on Deptford Green, called the "Lion and Lamb"
Garrett kept the "Feathers" until his death in 1786 where after his son Joseph was granted the lease. He kept it until 1802, giving it up in that year to Thomas Lackington. In that same year the Beehive Brewery sold out to Philip Page, brewer. However it retained the name of the Beehive Brewery for many years to follow. At this point alterations were carried out to the house and on completion of these, the sign of the "Feathers" was taken down and changed to that of the "Plume of Feathers". Thomas Lackington kept the house until his death in 1821, where after his widow Mary took over. She is recorded as a slopseller, which was one of who traded in the ready made sailors clothes. A trade she conducted from this house throughout her time here.
Mary Lackington died in 1844, where after the lease of the "Plume of Feathers" passed to William Preece, who kept it until 1856, when he was succeeded by George Briern, a plasterer and scagliulist of 1, East Greenwich. A scagliulist was one who worked on limestone marble or worked on plaster to give it an Italian appearance. Briern kept the house until 1868 when he was succeeded by James Frederick Charles and then in 1873 by Joseph Leach, a tavern keeper and tailor of Pelton Road, who appears conducted his original trade from the house during the time he lived here.
When Leach left in 1876, he was succeeded by the partnership of John Fox and Edward Pamment. They gave up the lease in 1882, and in that year Mrs Elizabeth Page of the Beehive Brewery sold the "Plume of Feathers" along with the "Wheatsheaf" in Church Street, the "Sugar Loaf" in Billingsgate Street, and the "Crown and Sceptre" in Crane Street, to the Hoare Brewery of Greenwich. They installed one George Porter into the house as a tenant, who stayed until 1885, when he was succeeded by William Devine then in 1890 by Edward Smith and then in 1897 by James Lawrence. He kept the house throughout World War I and on until his death in 1931, where after his son Herbert James took over until 1936, when he was succeeded by Arthur H. Palmer who was here for many years to follow. During his time here the Hoare Brewery sole the house to Watney Brewery, who are the present owners of the "Plume of Feathers" which is kept today by Susan A. Rose.
GO TO UK-LINK INDEX PAGE